Kidney Health – Ayurvedic Approach!!
Kidneys are very important organs in our body which have got various important tasks to perform. This article gives some idea about ayurvedic approach towards kidney health which can be useful for readers.
Kidneys are two bean shaped organs in our body which help to remove waste products out from the blood. They are situated in the back, upper abdominal hollow space. Both the kidneys are 4 to 5 inches long which are placed opposite to each other on both side of the spine. Blood keeps on passing via kidneys for filtration and they help to maintain body’s liquid balance and also control the electrolytes in limit. When kidneys strain the blood, urine is produced that collects in the kidneys’ pelvis. Urine is passed from kidneys to ureters then bladder to take it out.
Kidney failure is a stage when kidneys are not able to perform their normal functions. They are not able to strain the blood properly and lead to accumulation of toxins inside the body which gradually deteriorate person’s health.
Causes of Kidney Failure
Kidney disease is a rapidly growing problem. Due to urbanization, there is huge change in our diet and life style habits which has made people to develop one or the other health issue very easily.
- High blood pressure and diabetes are two main leading causative factors for kidney failure.
- It may also cause due to some cardiovascular disease, liver failure, and severe allergic reactions.
- Heredity is another contributing factor to have with kidney disease and failure.
- Prolonged use of some medications like painkillers or antibiotics.
- Some toxins use with prolonged alcohol consumption.
- Other kidney problems like kidney cyst or other infection.
- Lupus or immune system disorders.
- Inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis)
- Blood clots in the veins or arteries surrounding kidneys.
Still there are many other causes which lead to damage or obstruction of urinary passage and result in kidney failure.
Symptoms of Kidney Failure
Symptoms of acute kidney failure are –
- Decreased urine output, though sometimes it can be normal in some patients.
- Fluid retention that causes swelling in legs, ankles or feet.
- Shortness of breath/Chest pain
- Fatigue and weakness
Tests and Diagnosis in Kidney Failure
Kidney failure can be detected via followings tests –
- Urine test – for protein or blood cells
- Blood test – to know about urea and creatinine which are 2 major substances to know kidney health
- imaging test – like ultrasound or computerized tomography
- Biopsy – taking sample of kidney tissue for testing
Ayurveda says that Rakta and Meda are two dhatus which get vitiate in kidney failure. So taking care of them help to restore kidney functions.
Ayurveda also believes in balanced diet and lifer style habits to stay healthy so yes diet plays very important role here with herbs. Great Acharya’s of Ayurveda has mentioned few herbs which can be used to improve kidney functions. Herbs can be taken with ongoing medication or dialysis to support kidney’s functions. They help to lower urea, creatinine and balance other electrolytes. Herbs can be taken as nutritional supplements which can extend the time period of dialysis/renal transplant (depends upon patient’s health condition and severity of kidney failure).
- Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Palash (Butea monosperma), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terretris), Kasni (Cichorium intybus) etc. are some of excellent herbs which can improve kidney functions naturally. You can use some of natural formulations under an Ayurveda expert for better results.
- Drink plenty of water to flush waste out. Coconut water is also good. Drink it daily. On average 8 glasses are advised (boiled).
- Have diet less in sodium and use very less salt.
- Avoid diet rich in potassium and protein. Avoid much consumption of non-veg and pulses.
- Wash and boil vegetables in filtered water before using them.
- Chose foods which are rich in antioxidants, phytochemicals, flavonoids and vitamins.
- Say Yes to apples, papaya, peach, berries, pineapple, bell peppers, pumpkin, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, round gourd, garlic, old rice, horse grams (kulatthi), sabudana (sago), green grams (moong daal) etc.
- Say No to banana, kiwi, tomatoes, potato, sweet potato, mushrooms, beet root, figs, raisins, new rice etc.
- Use olive oil for cooking.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Limit tea, coffee and soft drinks.
- Chose nettle leaf tea. It has excellent results.
- Totally avoid eating outside.
- Maintain healthy blood sugar and blood pressure.
- Try yoga position under an expert. Some of Asanas like padangusthasana, paripurna navasana, badha konasana, and bhujangasana are really beneficial.
For specific treatment, always consult an Ayurveda expert! This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation please write us at email@example.com
3,860 total views, 3 views today