Now a days, the use of medicinal plants either as a single herb or in its combination is increasing for the healthcare of human beings. One such plant is Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) which is abundantly available throughout India. The bark of Arjuna tree possesses therapeutic properties. In India, it has been used by the people for centuries to treat different health conditions particularly heart disorders.
It belongs to Combretaceae family. It contains a host of bioactive compounds like cardenolide, triterpenoid saponins, ellagic acid, gallic acid, tannins, flavonoids etc.
The bark of Arjuna tree is an Ayurvedic remedy that has been mentioned in many ancient Indian medicinal texts since Vedic period. The bark has been described as astringent, cardiotonic, antidiarrahoeal, styptic, urinary astringent, cardiopathy etc.
Medicinal properties of Arjuna
• Rasa (Taste): Kashaya (Astringent)
• Undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
• Guna (Qualities): Laghu (light) and Rooksha (dry)
• Veerya (Potency): Cold
• Effect on Tridosha: Balances Kapha and Pitta dosha
• Part used: Bark
Top Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) Health benefits:
1. Effect on Heart: Arjuna is known as ‘Guardian of Heart’. is considered as a powerful anti-oxidant. It is a cardioprotective herb and an amazing heart tonic. It works on the cardiac muscles and strengthens them.
- It improves the functions of left ventricle of the heart. Arjuna herb improves the ability of the heart to pump blood efficiently and increases left ventricular ejection fraction in people suffering from heart disease.
- This herb improves the circulation of coronary artery and prevents the heart muscles from ischemic damage.
- It helps to treat angina, congestive heart failure and prevents atherosclerosis. The bark has a cardio-protective role as it restores the depleted endogenous myocardial anti-oxidants and improves myocardial function.
- Decoction prepared from Arjuna bark and milk is a best-known cardiac tonic.
2. Helps in lowering blood pressure: The bark of Arjuna has a property of lowering down the blood pressure by dilating and relaxing the blood vessels.
- It also reduces total cholesterol, triglycerides, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and increases high density lipoprotein (HDL) in the blood.
- The Arjuna bark powder lowers the systolic blood pressure levels therefore protects the heart from the adverse effects of high blood pressure.
- This plant is also useful in regulating blood pressure due to the presence of host of plant compounds like tannins, flavonoids and saponins.
- It helps in maintaining the normal glucose levels by controlling the sudden spike in the levels of blood glucose.
3. Effect on Digestive System: The bark of Arjuna tree is beneficial in maintaining the health of digestive tract as well.
- Due to its astringent properties, it is helpful in the treatment of dysentery and diarrhoea.
- It is also useful in conditions like bleeding piles and bloody stools due to its Kashaya (astringent) properties.
- It has an ulcer protective action so it is useful in the treatment of peptic ulcers.
4. Effect on Respiratory System: The bark of Arjuna is also considered beneficial in expelling out the mucus that is accumulated in the respiratory tract.
- It is also useful in managing other lung problems like asthma, bronchitis etc.
- Ama accumulates in the form of mucus in the lungs and leads to bronchitis.
- Taking arjuna helps in reducing Ama and removes mucus due to its Kapha balancing property.
5. Action on Urinary Tract Infection: Due to the anti-bacterial property of Arjuna, it is useful managing the symptoms of urinary tract infection and increased urine frequency.
- Due to its cooling nature, it reduces burning sensation in urine and gives cooling effect.
- Due to its astringent property, it is also useful in treating leucorrhoea in females.
6. Heals bone fractures: The bark of Arjuna tree is a rich source of calcium as well therefore a paste prepared from Arjuna bark and water and applied on the part of bone fracture after alignment helps in quick healing of bones.
- The bark of arjuna tree is used in different forms like juice, powder, decoction etc. Terminalia arjuna can be used in different forms and in different dosages but the general dosage is 1-3 grams in children and 3-6 grams in adults.
- The long-term administration of the powder of arjuna bark has no side effects and safe for liver and kidneys.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
2,753 total views, 2 views today