Humans have been using plants for food, medicine, fuel etc. since ages. Ornamental plants are grown in gardens, homes etc. for decorative purposes. In addition to the decoration, ornamental plants have other properties as well.
One such plant is Money plant which is generally grown in every home or kitchen garden for decoration or beauty purpose.
Money plant is native to South-east Asia and New Guinea. It belongs to the Araceae family having botanical name Scindapsus aureus or Epipremnum aureum. Other commonly used names are silver vine, devil’s ivy, pothos etc.
It is known as money plant because its leaves are round, heart-shaped, flat which resemble coins.
Most plants take carbon di oxide and release oxygen at day time and take oxygen and release carbon di oxide at night. Unlike other plants, money plant releases oxygen at night also.
As there is an increasing trend in the humans to spend most of the daily lives indoors, the indoor air quality (IAQ) is one of the most influential factors on the indoor resident’s health. Money plant plays a pivotal role in improving indoor air quality index.
Top 6 Health Benefits of Money Plant
1. Mental Health
- One of the biggest benefits of money plant is that it can release stress, keeps the mind calm by reducing anxiety and bring positive vibrations. To avoid any mental illness, placing money plant in home is recommended.
2. Air Purifier
- Money plant acts as an air purifier when planted inside the house, rather than outside the house. It purifies the air as it removes the airborne pollutants the air inside the house such as formaldehyde, xylene, benzene and even the most toxic gas such as carbon mon oxide. It provides fresh air thereby acts as natural and safe purifier.
- These volatile organic compounds are taken down to the soil from the leaves. The micro-organisms present in the soil break these organic compounds. Therefore, the room in which money plant is kept has refreshed air and more oxygen.
3. Radiation Absorbent
- Being a succulent plant, it absorbs radiation emitted by computers, routers, mobile phones etc. at offices and homes. It cuts away the harmful radiations from the electronic devices.
- Therefore, it is advisable to keep money plant near computer, WiFi router or television.
4. Removal of Fluoride in Water
- As we know groundwater is the primary source of drinking water and high concentrations of fluoride may cause various health issues such as crippling of bones, brain disorders, skin diseases etc.
- It has been found that money plant can remove fluoride as well as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) from the contaminated water.
- Unlike other plant species, it can adapt various tropic and sub-tropic climate conditions and therefore can be used for cost-effective, environment friendly and sustainable treatment of fluoride contaminated water.
5. Anti-microbial Activity
- Money plant exhibits broad-spectrum anti-microbial activity against various pathogens.
- The leaves and aerial roots of the plant have shown anti-microbial properties which help in the removal of pathogens.
- The volatile compounds secreted by money plant are helpful in controlling humidity in closed room conditions, thus preventing microbial growth and their survival.
6. For Asthmatic Patients
- Asthma is a chronic inflamed disease of the respiratory tract with the symptoms of chest suppression and dyspnea.
- It is a fact that Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are the limiting factor of asthma.
- The severity of asthma is closely related to the number of VOCs in indoor air.
- Money plant reduces the indoor concentrations of VOCs and therefore helps in improving the health condition of asthmatics.
Requirements to grow Money Plant at Home
- Growing money plant at home is quite easy. It can also be grown with stem cuttings. Keep the stem cuttings into the water and when the root comes out, place it in a pot.
- In summer season, it requires more water when planted in soil. Less water should be given in winters.
- Protect the plant from direct sunlight as the leaves may burn in bright sunlight.
- It grows properly in potted soil. The soil should be fertilized with organic and inorganic fertilizers containing urea and a very little amount of phosphorus.
- It is suitable for all climates but humidity is an important factor in its growth and development.
- Care should be taken that plant should not be consumed by pets.
Sometimes patients are advised to have Ayurvedic remedies for better and quick results. For experts consultation please write us at email@example.com.
For specific treatment, always consult an Ayurveda expert!
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
1,494 total views, 5 views today