To lose stubborn body fat and getting into one’s best possible shape may require aerobic activities. There is a wide range of aerobic exercises. During an aerobic activity, fat is used as a primary source of fuel with carbohydrates and proteins being used to a smaller extent.
Weight loss occurs when a person burns more calories than he eats. While some people prefer to lose weight through dieting but the most effective and healthiest way to combine healthy and balanced diet with cardio.
What is Cardio?
Cardiovascular exercise is also known as aerobic exercise which means an activity which requires oxygen. These exercises elevate the heart rate. Common forms of cardio exercises include walking, jogging, running, cycling, dancing etc. These exercises are also done with the help of machines such as elliptical, treadmill, rower etc.
To lose weight, 150-300 minutes per week moderate-intensity exercise or 75-150 minutes/week vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise is required to see substantial changes. In addition, strength training activities that involve all major muscle groups for at least two weeks are also important.
Cardio exercises such as hiking, walking, dancing, running, bicycling, swimming etc. are the most effective exercises for burning calories. These exercises are also helpful in improving heart and lung function, strengthening the muscles, improving sleep, boosting mood and lowering the risk of heart disorders, hypertension and diabetes.
Best Cardiovascular Exercises for Weight Loss
1. Low-Intensity Cardio
- To lose weight, it is not necessary to exercise at a high intensity. For beginners, low-intensity cardio exercises can help to burn calories.
- The low-intensity cardio exercises include walking, jogging, bicycling, swimming, aerobics etc.
- These exercises can be done up to 60 minutes/day for 5 days in a week.
- Burpees consist of squats, jumps and push ups. It is a very effective cardio exercise as the person burns fat from all over the body.
- For doing this exercise, try to do 10 reps in 30 seconds and rest for 30 seconds.
- Repeat for 5 minutes.
3. Jumping Rope
- This cardio exercise elevates the heart rate and also improves coordination and cognitive function. Jumping rope is an effective cardio for weight loss as it helps in burning 1300 calories per hour. It is a high-impact exercise and requires regular practice. In the beginning, it is difficult to maintain balance.
- Firstly, warm up with 8-10 jumps.
- Then jump continuously for 8-10 minutes.
- Take a break for 15-30 seconds and then repeat the above steps.
- Complete 3 sets.
- Step-ups is a great cardio exercise as it strengthens the legs and stabilizes the core and lower back muscles.
- Start with a small set height (around 6-12 inches) and then progress to a higher height (around 24-30 inches).
- Complete 5 sets of 5-10 reps.
5. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- This training involves intense bursts of exercise to elevate the heart rate followed by rest for 15 seconds.
- This cardio training program is becoming popular as it is not a time -consuming program.
- It helps in burning maximum calories as it involves intense burst of exercises.
- It includes butt kicks, jumping lunges, burpees, jump squats etc.
- HIIT can be completed on treadmill as well.
- If you are leading a sedentary lifestyle, then start with short workouts of low intensity. As you start to build up the endurance, then workouts can be longer, but not more intense.
- Before exercising, warm ups are very important.
- Work out can be skipped if you are sick.
What is the Best Time to Exercise?
Ayurveda has given very clear suggestions about when to exercise. Ayurveda has recommended two ideal times to exercise. These are:
- In the morning, between 6:00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.
- In the evening, between 6:00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.
These are the times when there is a dominance of Kapha dosha. Exercising during these times help to maintain balance. The stimulation of cardio exercises counters the sluggishness of Kapha dosha.
Lifestyle to Lose Weight
- Avoid sedentary habits.
- Avoid excessive sleep.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Take warm water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Avoid the consumption of sugary or sweet products, dairy products, fried and oily foods and excess salt.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
774 total views, 1 views today