Nephrotic Syndrome is a kidney disease that causes kidneys to excrete too much protein. One of the main functions of the kidneys is to filter the blood. This allows the body to pass waste products, extra fluids and salt through urine. In healthy kidneys, proteins in the blood don’t leak into the urine during filtering process. But if glomeruli become damaged, proteins such as albumin can leak into the urine along with the waste products. If too much protein leaks out, this condition is known as nephrotic syndrome.
What are the causes of Nephrotic Syndrome?
Nephrotic syndrome occurs due to the destruction of tiny blood vessels in the kidneys known as glomeruli. The role of glomeruli is to filter the blood as it passes through the kidneys. They separate the waste product which are not needed.
What is the cause of Nephrotic Syndrome according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, nephrotic syndrome is caused due to the blockage of srotus (minute body channels). The channels in kidneys are known as mutravaha srotas. These are responsible for the flow of liquid into and out of the kidneys. If there are blockages in the minute body channels, the kidneys are denied of fluids and shrinkage occurs and if the outgoing channels are blocked, swelling occurs.
Nephrotic Syndrome is caused due to the vitiation of Pitta dosha. What are the symptoms of Nephrotic Syndrome?
The symptoms may vary from person to person but the most common symptoms are:
- Edema: There is bloating or swelling in the body due to accumulation of water in excessive amount. The swelling is common in the face, feet, hands and abdomen.
- Oligouria: The quantity of patient’s urine is also decreased.
- Pleural Effusion: The person experiences difficulty in breathing due to accumulation of water in the space surrounding lungs.
- Haematuria: It is a condition where the patient may lose blood while passing urine.
- High Blood Pressure: An individual suffering from this disorder experiences high blood pressure regardless of his age.
Ayurveda as a Supportive treatment in Nephrotic Syndrome:
According to Ayurveda, there are specific herbs which help in improving the functioning of kidneys as these are anti-inflammatory in nature. These herbs also have the ability to regenerate the cells as well. Ayurveda stands as an effective and supportive treatment here.
Some of the herbs useful in Nephrotic Syndrome are:
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa): Punarnava is commonly known as Hog Weed. It has a special effect on kidneys.
- Punarnava increases the circulation of blood to the kidneys thus helps in reviving the kidneys and useful in disorders such as nephrotic syndrome, renal failure, glomerulonephritis etc.
- It is widely used in edema and increases the strength of the heart by increasing the output of blood from the heart.
- The anti-inflammatory action of punarnava makes it the most popular herb in renal inflammatory diseases.
- It is a safe herb in nephrotic syndrome and acts as diuretic.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris): Gokshura is a well-known herb useful in genito-urinary conditions.
- It gives strength to the kidneys, urinary bladder, ureter.
- It directly acts on the renal tissue and rejuvenates the damaged tissues of kidneys.
- This herb is also useful in crushing renal stones in a natural way.
- Varun (Crataeva nurvula): Varun herb is extensively useful in kidney disorders.
- It is diuretic in nature and useful in dysuria.
- This herb significantly alters the dysfunction of renal proximal tubule cells by decreasing the concentration of blood urea nitrogen, lipid peroxidation, creatinine, glutathione and catalase.
- Kasni (Cichorium intybus): Kasni or Chicory is a well-known substitute of coffee and has various nutritive properties.
- It works by balancing the Pitta dosha in the body.
- It is beneficial in the management of blood pressure as well.
- In kidney disorders like nephrotic syndrome, it helps to manage kidney disorders by increasing the urine production due to its mutral (diuretic) property and helps to remove the toxins from the body.
- Due to its anti-oxidant property, it protects the kidney cells against the damage caused by free radicals.
Hence, it can be said that there is a great potential of Ayurvedic nephroprotective herbs that can be used to manage Nephrotic Syndrome. Diet also plays a very important role so it is advisable to follow the diet regimen along, as advised by your Ayurveda Expert!
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3,037 total views, 4 views today