Turmeric milk popularly known as Golden Milk originated from India is gaining popularity in western countries.
The use of turmeric dates back nearly 4000 years to the Vedic culture in India but today turmeric is widely cultivated in the tropics. India produces nearly all of the world’s turmeric crop and consumes 80% of it.
7 Benefits of Golden (Turmeric) Milk are:
- Helps in managing Diabetes: In Ayurveda, it is said that – “haridra prameha haraanaam” which means that there are many herbs that are useful in diabetes but nothing is good enough to be compared to turmeric.
- This reference clearly suggests that turmeric is most popularly used in tackling diabetes mellitus and urinary tract disorders as well.
- It can be used both as a preventive and curative agent.
- Tissue destruction, debility, loss of immunity and other complications due to diabetes occur due to oxidation process and turmeric milk helps in re-establishing health due to its anti-oxidant property.
- Anti-oxidant property: Due to its Ushna Veerya (hot potency), katu-tikta rasa (pungent-bitter taste) and katu vipaka (undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion), it rectifies Agni (metabolic fire).
- Turmeric milk helps in cleanses and detoxifies rasa (digestive juice and circulatory nutrition) and thus helps in free circulation of nutrients to every cell of the body thus restoring normal body functions.
- Helps in building immunity: Golden milk helps in immune-modulation by correcting metabolism thus enabling free circulation of oxygen and nutrients to every cell in the body.
- The essence of all tissues i.e., ojas regains its strength due to proper nutrition and replenishment of all the tissues thus establishing immunity.
- For Liver Function Regulation: Due to its ushna veerya (hot potency), katu-tikta rasa (pungent-bitter taste), turmeric milk helps in removing blocks from the liver thus restores haematopoietic functions. It boosts the liver function by reducing its toxic load which includes environmental pollution, chemicals in processed foods etc. Thus, turmeric milk acts as a blood purifier and improving the functioning of the liver.
- Anaemia is thus relieved by the consumption of golden milk as it improvises the quality and quantity of blood.
- The rectification of liver functions leads to the destruction of free circulating fats in the blood which are responsible for the manifestation of diabetes.
- Relieves Respiratory Tract Infections: In Ayurveda, turmeric milk is one of the most preferred drinks to improve general immunity and to prevent infections during cold and flu season.
- The anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help in building the immunity and relieving the symptoms.
- Reduces Arthritic Pain: The anti-inflammatory property of curcumin found in turmeric is a healthy alternative to painkillers.
- In addition to relieve inflammation, it builds worn cartilage, thereby restoring joints and enhances pain free movement.
- Turmeric milk has shown to be beneficial in rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis etc.
- When turmeric powder is taken along with milk, the effect of turmeric is enhanced and it becomes palatable.
- Turmeric milk is also safe for children and can be given as a complementary aid in treating juvenile arthritis.
- Prevents Cancer: Curcumin present in turmeric possesses anti-cancer properties.
- Regularly taking turmeric milk can increase anti-oxidants in the body which helps in fighting cell damage and reducing oxidative stress in the body.
- For cancer patients, it can reduce the side effects of treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and alleviates chronic pain as well.
How to Make Golden Milk:
- 1 cup cow milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A sprinkle of black pepper
- Honey or organic sugar according to taste
- Place milk in a saucepan over low or medium heat and boil it.
- Add all the ingredients except honey or sugar. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes and stir occasionally.
- Turn off heat and allow the milk to cool to a warm drinkable temperature.
- Now add honey or sugar according to taste.
It is important to note that the honey not to be added to the hot milk as heated honey becomes toxic in nature.
So, drink this Golden Milk every day for healthy and strong body with a strong immune system.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
231 total views, 3 views today