Immunity is described in classical texts of Ayurveda under Vyadhikshamatva. The word Vyadhi means disease and Kshamatva means to suppress or overcome.
In Ayurveda, it is stated that ojas appeared foremost in the human body during embryogenesis. The essence of saptadhatu i.e. seven body tissues from rasa to shukra (plasma to lymph), rakta dhatu (blood cells), mamsa (connective and muscular tissue), meda (body fats), asthi (bones), majja (bone marrow) and shukra (reproductive system) is called ojas.
The concepts of immunity and immunomodulation are extensively explored and used in Ayurveda particularly in the form of Rasayana Chikitsa.When wisdom of Ayurveda is applied to kid’s life, it results in their vibrant health. Children can benefit from Ayurveda approach of building immunity as it is natural and it won’t affect their body’s growth.
Childhood is considered as the most wonderful stage of life. The main concept regarding immunity booster programs is called Beej Bhoomi. To increase immunity among kids, one can modify dietary habits and balance the doshas.
Top Home Remedies to increase children’s immunity:
- Mother’s milk: Developing a healthy immune system for a child should start from the first day of the baby’s birth. Nothing works better than the mother’s milk as it is rich in anti-bodies.
- Ginger, tulsi and honey: ½ tablespoon juice extract of tulsi leaves mixed with honey and 5 drops of ginger juice can be given to children on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Cow ghee (Clarified butter): Cow ghee is a rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. Presence of omega 3 fatty acids in the diet supports the immune system.
- Desi ghee also promotes an alkaline environment in the body.
- 1 tsp of desi ghee should be given to children to enhance their immunity.
- Mixture of turmeric and honey: This mixture is a time -tested solution for improving immunity in children.
- Take ¼ tsp of turmeric and mix it with 1/2 tsp of honey. This mixture should be given to children before going to sleep.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): For children ashwagandha ghee is very beneficial for improving their immunity.
- Ashwagandha is a powerful anti-oxidant herb. It is a proven herb for improving muscle strength and bulk.
- When ashwagandha is mixed with ghee and milk, it helps in improving immunity and nourishment.
- For children above the age of 1 year, half to 1/4 teaspoon in the morning with warm water or milk can be given.
- Vitamin C rich foods: Ensure giving vitamin C rich foods to children to boost their immunity. Indian gooseberry, oranges, guavas are full of Vitamin C. Fresh fruits should be given to children instead of giving them juices.
- Massage: Massaging with sesame oil or cow ghee thrice a week is also an effective remedy for improving immunity in children. Instilling a little cow ghee in the nostrils regularly is also an effective way of improving their immunity. Steam inhalation with plain water once a day is also very effective.
- Almonds: Take 1 tsp. ghee, 5 tbsps. blanched almonds, 2-3 dates, 3-4 strands of saffron, 1 tbsp shredded coconut and 1 tsp raw honey. Blend these ingredients in 8-12 ounces of milk. This delicious milk is an effective remedy for building ojas Or immune system. This drink can be given to children every morning.
- Chywanprash: It is one of the most common Ayurvedic lehams. It has long been used to support a strong and healthy immune system.
- Chywanprash is prepared from dozens of herbs and natural ingredients. It penetrates deep into the tissues and boosts immune system.
- Amalaki Or Amla is the main ingredient in this concoction which contains highest levels of Vitamin C.
- Besides promoting immunity in children, it is also a rejuvenative for circulatory, respiratory and reproductive systems.
- ½-1 tsp should be given to children for boosting their immunity.
Note- Dose matters! Yes, you are advised to consult your Ayurveda Expert in case of any doubt.
In addition, adequate sleep is also necessary for children as sleep deprivation suppresses the functionality of the immune system. A new born child needs up to 18 hours of sleep in a day whereas a toddler requires 12-13 hours of sleep and pre-schoolers require about 10 hours of sleep.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
2,388 total views, 2 views today