Gokshura Moola (root of Tribulus terrestris) is one of the ingredients of the group of ten medicinal plant roots known as ‘Dashmoola.’ Gokshura fruit is also widely used in herbal preparations. According to the Ayurvedic concept, the properties and actions attributed to one part of the plant will be same for the other parts too. Gokshura is one of the rare herbs that has both nutritive and cleansing properties, with Tridosha balancing effect.
Ayurvedic literature opines that if the shape of an herb resembles to a disease or an organ, then the herb is most likely to have benefits in the respective disease. Tribulus fruits are quite similar in shape with oxalate stones of kidney and bladder, with spines. Therefore, Tribulus is widely used in the treatment of kidney and bladder stones.
Medicinal Properties of Gokshura:
- Rasa (Taste): Madhura (Sweet)
- Guna (Qualities): Guru (heavy to digest), snigdha (unctuous)
- Veerya: Sheet (Cold)
- Vipaka: uncergoes Madhura (sweet) taste conversion after digestion
- Effect on Tridosha: Balances all the three doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Top Health Benefits of Gokshura Herb in Ayurveda:
In Ayurvedic classics, Gokshura is said to be useful in the treatment of mutrakricha (dysuria), ashmari (renal calculi), shoth (inflammation), vajikaran (aphrodisiac), rasayana (rejuvenation purposes), aamvaat (rheumatoid arthritis) etc.
- Mutrakricha (Dysuria): Gokshura is a potent herb for urinary disorders such as low urine output, painful urination, urinary infection, burning sensation while urinating etc.
- It has diuretic, lithotropic, anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving action. Thus, it relieves symptoms such as fluid overload, dysuria, haematuria etc.
- It helps in improving the functions of the urinary system by cleansing the urinary bladder.
- Vajikaran (Aphrodisiac): Like other aphrodisiacs, gokhru nourishes all the seven dhatus (tissues) and hence acts as a complete tonic.
- It helps in increasing the body’s libido levels and helps in improving sexual desire in males.
- The presence of active phytochemicals improves the level of testosterone as well as overall quality and quantity of sperms. Therefore, it is also helpful in dealing with infertility problems in men.
- It acts as a non-hormonal biostimulator which increases the levels of testosterone hormone.
- It enhances the strength and energy levels in males and increases penile erection because of its Guru and Vrishya properties. Therefore, it is useful in treating erectile dysfunction in males.
- Due to sheet and mutral properties of gokshura, it is useful in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) in males.
- Ashmari (Renal Calculi): Gokshura is a wonderful herb for kidney health. It prevents kidney stone formation and also dissolves the existing stones due to its diuretic property. It is useful in treating difficult to treat renal calculi.
- Gokshura powder and its supplements maintain the uric acid level thereby preventing gout.
- Regular intake of gokshura herb also clears obstruction in the urinary tract and regenerates kidney cells as well.
- Pramehaghana (Anti-diabetic): Gokshura helps to control blood sugar level by eliminating toxins from the body due to its mutral (diuretic) property.
- The presence of saponins in gokshura makes it an anti-diabetic herb. It helps to lower the levels of serum glucose and even serum triglycerides, serum cholesterol due to its anti-oxidant property.
- Vyanabala Vaishamya (Hypertension): Due to its diuretic property, it has potential to control blood pressure.
- It is suitable for patients with mild to moderate blood pressure with fluid retention.
- It also lowers systolic pressure, diastolic pressure, mean arterial pressure and improves heart rate as well.
- The presence of phenolic compounds in gokshura help in preventing the storage of triglycerides and enhance its utilization for energy production.
- It widens the arteries and results in good flow of blood and thus lowers down the risk of any heart disease.
- Polycystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD): Polycystic Ovarian Disease is one of the major causes of infertility. It is useful in patients suffering with PCOD as it eliminates excess water from the body and reduces the size of cyst.
- It also helps in glucose intolerance associated with PCOD as it is known to increase exercise capacity. Therefore, it will help women to strengthen the muscles and thus women can indulge more in exercise.
- Gokshura is also helpful in diabetes associated as people with PCOD also tend to be diabetic.
Dosage: 100-250 mg once or twice a day or as directed by the physician.
Caution: Pregnant, lactating mothers, children, people with diabetes should take this herb under strict medical supervision.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
936 total views, 2 views today