The estimate of prevalence and incidence of Chronic Heart Failure (CHF) all over the world is unreliable. It leads to high mortality and major impairment of quality of life. Hence, there is an immense requirement of certain herbs that can increase cardiac efficiency and can increase the performance of decompensated heart for healthy living in a natural way.
According to Ayurveda, dysfunctional rasa dhatavagni is a cause of Hrudrog. It is caused due to the impairment of cardiac functions due to derangement of tridoshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha). As heart is a root of Rasavaha Srotas and is the sole organ responsible for rasa-samvahan (circulation), therefore vitiation of rasavaha srotas and rasa dhatu by vitiated doshas which leads to low ejection fraction.
Herbs useful for improving Ejection Fraction are:
Most of the herbs used in Ayurveda for improving ejection fraction are laghu (light), ruksha (unctuous), having katu vipaka (undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion), teekshana guna (sharp in quality), kapha-vata shamak and jatharagni stimulant (stimulates digestive fire). This stimulation of digestive fire indirectly stimulates rasagni and helps in the digestion and removal of ama from the srotas (body channels) and eases circulation.
These herbs are:
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna): Arjuna has an elective affinity for heart and circulatory system.
- Arjuna is a popular medicinal plant with its bark been used for over centuries. The bark is known to contain several bioactive compounds including saponins and flavonoids.
- It is considered as hypotensive, cardiotonic and hypolipidaemic in nature.
- It increases ejection fraction by restoring the depleted endogenous myocardial antioxidants and improving myocardial function. The Arjun bark improves the strength of the heart by improving is strength to pump the blood. Therefore, it improves cardiac output and cardiac contractility index by increasing left ventricular stroke volume index and left ventricular ejection fractions.
- Pushakarmool (Inula racemosus): The roots of Pushkarmool plant are mainly used for medicinal purposes.
- It is a wonderful cardiac supplement and useful in cardiac debility.
- Pushkarmool helps in increasing ejection fraction by improving cardiac circulation, relieves weakness and boosts tissue metabolism.
- The roots are also useful in providing relief in shortness of breath associated with low ejection fraction of heart.
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa): Punarnava generally refers to the roots of Boerhavia diffusa plant. Almost all classical Ayurvedic texts recommend the use of roots in various health conditions.
- Punarnava herb is a potent diuretic which reduces the workload on the heart.
- It acts as cardio-protective by dilating the blood vessels and increasing blood circulation.
- Therefore, it lessens the pressure on the arteries and decreases stress on the heart.
- It is also useful in water retention caused due to low ejection fraction.
- Shilajit (Asphaltum): Shilajit is a mineral-rich complex organic compound which is used in Ayurveda for improving cardiac functions along with other herbo-mineral preparations.
- Shilajit has rasayana (rejuvenation) properties, so it creates an improved nutritional status by acting on the level of rasa, agni and srotas.
- It also provides strength to the respiratory muscles and reduces weakness. It makes the person capable of physical exertion and reduces breathing troubles caused due to low ejection fraction of heart.
- It has cardio-protective effects as it provides strength to the heart and regulates heartbeat as well.
- Regular intake of shilajit improves myocardial strength and prevents heart diseases so indicated in low ejection fraction.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris): Gokshura is an herbal plant known to possess a high medicinal value.
- It increases the perfusion of the coronary arteries and produces vasodilatory action on the coronary arteries which result in an improved coronary circulation and increased ejection fraction.
Likewise there are other herbs too such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi and Mandookparni which help to improve heart health.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Include fibre rich diet such as green leafy vegetables, seasonal fruits especially apples and guava.
- Diet high in potassium, magnesium, calcium and anti-oxidants should be included.
- Care should be taken to avoid constipation.
- Use of refined oil, hydrogenated vegetable oils should be avoided.
- Intake of non-vegetarian food, junk food, artificial and processed foods should be strictly avoided.
- Exercise is also very important to strengthen the heart and for improving its functioning. Certain yoga postures and pranayama can be included under expert guidance.
- Limiting salt intake is also very important.
- Maintain healthy weight.
Thus, by including certain herbs and making changes in diet and lifestyle help in increasing the ejection fraction naturally.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1,616 total views, 4 views today