Sarcoidosis is a systemic inflammatory disorder with high angiogenic activity of the inflammatory cells. It belongs to the group of the most frequent interstitial lung disorders. Its pathogenesis involves immunological disturbances with characteristic granulomas forming in affected organs. It mainly affects younger people.
Modern treatment of chronic inflammatory disorders like sarcoidosis is often difficult and long-lasting and it may be associated with serious side effects so there is a need of safer herbs and herbal medications.
In Ayurveda, sarcoidosis is classified under Dhatugat Vikar (disorder that takes place at cellular level). As it affects lymph nodes primarily, the lymph nodes are a site of Kapha dosha and when Pitta dosha starts affecting these lymph nodes, the lymph nodes lose their nature and become hard. Because of low level of Kapha dosha, Vata dosha causes dryness. This dryness causes fibrosis of the lungs. Hence, all the three doshas are involved in the pathogenesis of sarcoidosis.
Ayurveda recognizes the root cause of inflammation and works on the root cause. In Ayurveda, low digestive fire and accumulation of toxins as the cause of sarcoidosis. Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment focuses on restoring digestive fire and eliminating toxins and correcting immunity and preventing further complications.
Some Herbs for Sarcoidosis are:
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa): Turmeric is an excellent spice for sarcoidosis due to the presence of curcumin in it.
- Curcumin is known for restricting inflammation and it is also an antioxidant thus helps in reducing free radical damage.
- Thus, it can reduce inflammatory mediators associated with sarcoidosis.
- It also provides protection to the cells and tissues of various body organs.
- Thus, curcumin is effective in sarcoidosis as it helps in the treatment of scarring or fibrosis associated with sarcoidosis.
- Neem (Azadirachta indica): Neem is used in Ayurveda to control the symptoms of sarcoidosis affecting the skin.
- Neem is a wonderful herb that prevents the inflammation in the healthy tissues.
- It also prevents inflammation thus provides relief in sarcoidosis.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): The roots of Ashwagandha are quite beneficial in autoimmune disorders like sarcoidosis.
- The roots are helpful in reducing breathing difficulties by controlling inflammation in the lungs and airways due to their immuno-modulatory effect.
- They also reduce damage to the tissues and prevents complications from the resulting fibrosis.
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul): Guggul has been used in Ayurveda since time immemorial for the treatment of variety of disorders such as inflammation, disorders of lipid metabolism etc. as it balances Kapha and Vata doshas.
- It also shows antioxidant property due to the presence of guggulsterones.
- Thus, the combination of antioxidant and kapha dosha balancing property makes it especially beneficial in sarcoidosis.
- Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata): The bark and stem bark of Kanchnaar tree is widely used for medicinal purposes.
- This plant is quite helpful in lymphatic blockage, inflammation, granulomas formation associated with sarcoidosis.
- It is known to reduce the extra growth in the body and carries out normal and healthy cellular functions.
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): Giloy is an immuno-modulatory herb that can stimulate the regeneration of the affected tissues.
- It has a unique property to modulate the body’s immunity naturally.
- Giloy is helpful in relieving cough, dysponea, skin diseases and acts as Rasayana (rejunvenative herb).
Some classical Ayurvedic formulations useful in the treatment of Sarcoidosis are:
- Guluchyadi Kashayam
- Triphala Guggul
- Punarnava Mandoor
- Yograj Guggul
- Kaishore Guggul
Hence, these herbs slow down the rapid progression of sarcoidosis and improve the life span and quality of life of the patients.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
675 total views, 5 views today