Anemia is defined as the decreased hemoglobin percentage in the blood which means reduced oxygen carrying capacity in the blood.
In India, anemia is very common in females. It is caused due to the lack of red blood cells in the body.
Normal Hb values:
- Males: 13.5 – 18 g/dL
- Females: 12-16 g/dL
- Children: 11-16 g/dL
Some symptoms of Anemia are:
- Shortness of breath
- Hair loss
- Fast heart rate
Concept of Iron Deficiency Anemia in Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, anemia is known as Pandu Roga. It is predominantly a result of vitiation of Pitta dosha along with other doshas. Thus, Pandu Roga is Tridoshaja disease. The vitiation of Pitta dosha leads to discoloration of skin and pallor owing to reduced blood or vitiation of blood (Vidushya Rakta).
Due to the factors such as heavy exercise, excessive intake of sour and salty food, day sleep or sedentary lifestyle, intake of food which causes burning sensation etc., the digestive fire is hampered directly or indirectly and hence proper nutrients are not absorbed in the required amount. This leads to poor nourishment of Rasa Dhatu and thus Rakta Dhatu declines in terms of quality and quantity.
Top Home Remedies of Anemia are:
- Anjeer (Fig): Anjeer is the best home remedy to increase hemoglobin as anjeer is rich in iron. Anjeer can be boiled in milk. Boil pieces of anjeer and cardamom in milk on a low flame and drink it at bedtime twice or thrice in a week.
- Cow ghee: Make a habit of consuming cow ghee in the morning. Cow ghee balances Pitta dosha as in Ayurveda, it is said that aggravated Pitta dosha is the root cause of anemia. Consume 10 ml of ghee early in the morning on an empty stomach regularly.
- Use Iron Utensils: This is an old-age technique of increasing iron content in the body. The food in an iron utensil absorbs iron from it, making it suitable for anemic patient.
- Apple and Beet root Juice: Mix ½ cup of apple juice with ½ cup of beetroot juice. Put honey into this mixture and stir well. Consume this juice twice a day for effective results.
- Black Sesame Seeds: Soak 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds in water for 2 hours. Grind the soaked sesame seeds and grind it to make a paste. Take 1 teaspoon of paste of sesame seeds and honey and add them in a glass of milk. Drink this milk regularly.
- Increase Vitamin C intake: Anemia tends to weaken the immune system and the person becomes prone to infections and inflammatory disorders. Therefore, adequate doses of Vitamin C can help in maintaining immunity and it also helps in reabsorption of iron. For Vitamin C, fresh lime juice with sugar can be taken.
- Turmeric with Yogurt: People suffering from Kapha type anemia should take a cup of yogurt twice a day with a teaspoon of turmeric. This remedy is useful in kapha type anemia as in kapha type anemia, a person may experience inflammation and the skin turns cold and clammy. This remedy helps in balancing kapha dosha in the body.
- Intake of Green Vegetables: The high amounts of chlorophyll contained in green vegetables such as celery, mustard greens, broccoli, spinach are the good sources of iron. Keep in mind that spinach should be cooked.
Wholesome and Unwholesome Diet:
- Intake of barley, wheat, red rice, green gram, red spinach, cow milk, buttermilk, guava, dry grapes, pomegranate, gooseberry are recommended.
- Intake of sour, salty pungent food, spicy food, dry fruits, pickles, heavy exercises, exposure to sunshine, anger, jealousy, excessive sexual indulgence should be avoided.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
944 total views, 1 views today