Ulcerative Colitis is an inflammatory bowel disorder which is relapsing in nature. It causes inflammation in the colon, largest part of the intestine which results in the development of ulcers. Its main symptom includes bloody diarrhea.
In Ayurveda, it is compared with a disease Raktatisaar.
In modern medicine, the first line of treatment of ulcerative colitis is the prescription of anti-inflammatory drug. To control the flares, anti-inflammatory steroids are given. It is considered as a challenging disease as the steroids may give relief in mild symptoms but after some time patients need more doses of the same drug.
Even after taking steroids and other medicines like sulphasalazine drugs, there is no relief in the patient’s condition. So, there is a need of treatment which has safer outcomes and effective too.
The Ayurvedic line of treatment includes the administration of deepana, pachana (digestive-carminative), sangrahi drayas and changes in lifestyle for the effective management of ulcerative colitis. Cooling herbs and natural ingredients help in healing of colon ulcers therefore provide relief from burning sensation and acidity.
Herbs Useful in Ulcerative Colitis
1. Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
Kutaj is a common herb in Ayurveda which belongs the family Apocyanaceae. It is used for treating diarrohea, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome etc. This plant is classically known for the treatment of atisara (diarrhea), pravahika (amoebiasis), asra (blood related disorders), jwaratisara (secondary diarrhoea characterized by fever) etc. It has rakt stambhak (stops bleeding), shula-prashamana (pacifies abdominal pain) properties.
2. Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
Licorice is commonly known as mulethi which belongs to the family Fabaceae. Being sweet in taste and cold in potency, it pacifies vata and pitta dosha, controls bleeding, heals ulcers and inflammation. Therefore, it is considered a very useful herb for ulcerative colitis.
3. Bael (Aegle marmelos)
Bael is a popular fruit due to its medicinal and nutritional properties. Bael belongs to the Rutaceae family. It is Sangrahi (absorbent) in nature. It improves digestion, balances Vata and Kapha dosha. Due to its astringent, dry, absorbent, anti-diarrhoeal, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, ulcer healing properties, it is considered as the best natural remedy for ulcerative colitis.
4. Arjuna (Terminalia chebula)
The bark of Arjuna tree is considered to be most constituent from the medical point of view. It belongs to combretaceae family. It is astringent in taste and has cold potency. Due to its astringent and stypic properties, the bark is useful for the treatment of ulcers and controlling bleeding which is caused due to Pitta and Kapha imbalance.
5. Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans)
Nutmeg is commonly known as Jaiphal which belongs to the family Myristicaceae. It is a common spice which is easily available in almost every Indian kitchen. It is useful in ulcerative colitis as it has absorbing, digestive, anti-inflammatory properties. This herb improves digestion strength, taste and acts as appetizer as well.
6. Sissoo (Dalbergia sissoo)
Sissoo is commonly known as Shisham tree. This tree belongs to Fabaceae family. This herb is characterized under astringent group of herbs. Its leaves are effective against blood disorders, ulcers, dysentery, stomach problems etc. due to anti-inflammatory property. The cooling nature of this plant is quite useful in strengthening the protective lining of the intestine.
Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
- Prepare a decoction by adding one teaspoon of fennel seeds, cumin seeds and thyme seeds in 400 ml water. Keep boiling until it remains 1/8th part. Now filter it and consume. The decoction should be freshly prepared.
- Eating petals of marigold flower and rose petals are quite effective as it is cooling in nature.
- Drinking 20 ml Juice of simple grass or durva grass twice a day is a simple and effective remedy for controlling bloody diarrhoea and healing ulcers.
- Take 20-30 ml of fresh pomegranate juice regularly as it helps in stopping bleeding with stools due to its astringent nature.
- Eating ripe banana mixed with fresh curd also provides relief in ulcerative colitis.
- Intake of fresh coconut water is an effective remedy for ulcerative colitis as it soothes the intestines by balancing pitta dosha.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Avoid milk and dairy products. Curd is exception which is really good to have daily. Cow ghee also works as a healing agent and combats weakness.
- Avoid pitta aggravating foods such as tea, coffee, junk food, non-vegetarian, alcohol, deep fried foods and fruits such as oranges and pineapples.
- Avoid stress as all inflammatory conditions in the body are flared by it.
- Opt for all gourd vegetables like bottle gourd, round gourd, pumpkin etc.
- Prefer potatoes, cow ghee, white homemade butter.
- Carrot-Bottle gourd soup is best to increase hemoglobin level.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
586 total views, 1 views today