Platelets are the vital component of blood that help the body to form clots or stop bleeding in case of injuries. They are also responsible for tissue repair and wound healing. Platelet count is a process of measurement of a number of platelets per microliter of blood.
A healthy person has about 1,50,000- 4,00,000 platelets per micro litre of blood. Factors that can decrease platelet production include chemotherapy, dengue, certain viral infections, radiotherapy, aplastic anaemia, folate deficiency, iron deficiency, exposure to toxic chemicals, consuming too much alcohol etc. Platelets are produced in the bone marrow.
Ayurveda considers a low platelet count a Raktpitta disorder. Therefore, herbs that are raktstambhak (that stops bleeding) and immuno-modulatory in nature are administered.
Symptoms of Low Platelet Count or Thrombocytopenia
- Bleeding that can’t be controlled
- Bleeding gums
- Heavy blood flow during menstruation in females
Most Effective Herbs to Increase Platelet Count Naturally
1. Juice of Papaya (Carica papaya) and Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) Leaves
The juice of papaya leaves and giloy stem is a very common and effective remedy for increasing platelet count. Papaya leaves increase the platelet count significantly and heal the wounds too. The leaves of papaya are rich in alkaloids, phenolic compounds which have strong anti-oxidant and immune boosting effects.
Giloy is known as ‘Amrita’ or ‘Nectar’ in Ayurveda. Giloy is anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-bacterial and immuno-modulatory in nature. It is one of the best herbal remedies for increasing platelet count and for strengthening the immune system.
Drink half a cup of this mixture in equal quantities once a day.
2. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
Ashwagandha is an amazing herb and is a unique gift to mankind by Mother Nature. The roots of Ashwagandha has the ability to trigger the production of red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. Therefore, it boosts the immune system. This herb is considered as a natural purifier as well. This herb is considered as a natural immuno modulator. So, ashwagandha strengthens the immunity and helps in reducing the immunologic destruction of platelets.
3. Pomegranate (Punica granatum)
Pomegranate juice has various medicinal properties which are really helpful for increasing platelets and control bleeding as well. Pomegranate juice is astringent in taste, that’s why it controls bleeding effectively. Fresh pomegranate juice is rich in iron and the it contains anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting properties. According to Ayurveda, pomegranate is considered as a fruit which have Raktpittashamaka properties. Half glass fresh pomegranate juice is recommended on regular basis for increasing platelet count.
4. Wheatgrass (Triticum aestivum)
Wheatgrass juice is beneficial in increasing the number of platelets in the blood. The wheatgrass plant is rich in chlorophyll and its molecular structure is quite similar to haemoglobin. Half glass fresh wheatgrass juice once a day on regular basis is recommended for increasing platelet count. A little amla juice (juice of Indian gooseberry) can also be added for increasing its effectiveness. As amla is a richest source of Vitamin C, Vitamin C helps in enhancing the iron absorption by binding itself with the iron.
5. Durwa (Cynodon dactylon)
Durwa is commonly known as simple grass. It is also an effective and safe home remedy for increasing platelets as it is astringent in taste, has cold potency, reduces vitiated pitta and kapha dosha, immuno-modulator and light for digestion. It helps in healing the injuries and provides relief in depigmentation of the skin. 15-20 ml of fresh durwa juice is recommended for increasing platelet count. Constant intake of juice of durwa grass promotes immunity.
- Foods that are rich in folate and Vitamin B12 such as lentils, spinach, avocados, avocados, beet root, flax seeds are recommended.
- Juices such as fresh pomegranate and carrot juice are highly beneficial.
- On an empty stomach, taking fresh amla (Indian gooseberry) is also recommended in diet.
- Foods that are rich in Vitamin K like broccoli, soybeans, cereals, turnip greens, leafy green vegetables like spinach are recommended.
- Use coconut oil in diet as it is rich in healthy fats and cooling in nature.
- Raisins are loaded in iron which is important for increasing RBCs and low platelet count.
- Avoid the consumption of white flour, processed and packaged foods.
- Consumption of tea, coffee, spices and alcohol should be avoided.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
589 total views, 1 views today