In Ayurveda, study of sexual health comes under Vajikaran or Vrishya Chikitsa. This branch of Ayurveda is one of the 8 major specialty of the Ashtang Hridya. This is concerned with aphrodisiacs, virility and improving health of progeny.
To improve sexual health, various herbal and herbo-mineral combinations are administered as per the nature of a person. Vajikaran therapy revitalizes all the dhatus (7 body tissues) and restores equilibrium and health. The aim of this therapy is to offer an effective solution to minimise the shukra (ovum and sperm) defects and to ensure a healthy progeny.
Ayurveda offers rasayanas or herbs for improving sexual health of both males and females.
Herbs that are Useful in Improving Sexual Health are:
1. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Ashwagandha belongs to Solanaceae family. Ashwagandha is considered as a Sattvic Kapha Rasayana. It improves the functioning of the reproductive system and enhances sexual function. The root of Ashwagandha is regarded as a tonic, astringent, aphrodisiac and stimulant.
- It is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine to enhance muscle strength, endurance and for improving overall health.
- Ashwagandha is a wonderful herb as it modulates the neuro-endocrino-immune system.
- This herb has adaptogenic and anti-stress properties as well. In males, it improves blood circulation and enhances the quality of sperms naturally.
- In males, testosterone plays an important role in aiding the sperm production. Plant testosterone is much safer than taking testosterone in synthetic form. Therefore, ashwagandha is considered as a safer option for improving sperm count.
2. Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
- This plant belongs to Zygophyllaceae family. It is sweet in taste, strengthening and nourishing in nature.
- Gokshur is considered as a choice of herb in the treatment of Kshina Shukra (Oligozoospermia).
- In 90% of the cases, except for some physical defects, low sperm count and poor quality of sperms are responsible for male infertility.
- According to Master Sushrut, vata and pitta dosha vitiation create a disturbance in the normal quantity and quality of the Shukra Dhatu (sperm). Gokshur balances Vata and Pitta doshas.
- Gokshur helps in the improvement of total sperm count and also in the serum FSH, LH and testosterone levels.
3. Safed Musli (Chlorophytum borivilianum)
- It belongs to the family Liliaceae and folkloric claims as aphrodisiac and sexual stimulant. This herb has been traditionally used for improving general and sexual health in males. The root tuber of this herb is used as rasayana (adaptogen), balya (general health tonic) and Shukrala (beneficial for improving male sexual health).
- These properties are useful in curing impotency, sterility and enhance male potency.
- This herb enhances sexual arousal, vigor and libido.
- It also increases semen volume and sperm count and stimulates the process of spermatogenesis.
4. Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus)
- Shatavari is an herb which belongs to Asparagaceae family. The dried roots of the plants are used as a drug as they contain steroidal saponins. It is considered both as a general as well as female reproductive tonic. It is the main Ayurvedic rejuvenator for the female.
- The word “Shatavari” means who possesses a hundred husbands or acceptable to many.
- It is considered as an aphrodisiac and also improves lactation in females.
- This herb is also useful in low libido of both men and women.
- It increases longevity, imparts immunity, vigor and adds vitality to the body.
- The root extract is used to increase milk secretion in lactating mothers.
- In Ayurveda, the root has long been used as a tonic remedy to promote fertility and reducing menopausal symptoms.
- Shilajeet (asphaltum) is regarded as one of the most important ingredients in Ayurvedic system of medicine.
- There are six types of shilajeet but shilajeet coming out of iron is considered as best. It is a herbo-mineral drug and composed of a gummy exudate that oozes from the rocks of the Himalayans in the summer months.
- Since ancient times, it has been used for premature ejaculation and other sexual disorders in males.
- It is useful in spermatorrhoea, passing of semen along with urine, treatment of premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction in males.
- Shilajit is used as a rejuvenator and anti-aging compound.
The above-mentioned herbs are useful in showing results effectively but for long term benefits it is important to make some changes in the diet and lifestyle.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com or click here to book appointment to consult online.
1,078 total views, 1 views today