Heel Pain is a commonly encountered orthopaedic problem that causes significant discomfort. It is most commonly seen in younger population consisting of athletes, dancers etc.
Heel pain can also be caused by wearing uncomfortable shoes or just walking around the whole day. It can’t be ignored as it can develop into serious problem in the bones.
Heel Pain according to Ayurveda:
In Ayurveda, heel pain can be correlated to Vatakantaka. The Vata dosha gets aggravated due to exertion and walking on uneven surface gets settled in gulfa sandhi and produces pain. As the pain is seen more during morning and after a period of inactivity, it indicates samsarga of Kapha dosha or the presence of Ama with Vata dosha.
What is the treatment of Heel Pain?
Modern treatment of heel pain includes foot strapping, taping, night splint etc. Short course of NSAID’s provide temporary relief from pain.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment of Heel Pain?
Ayurvedic treatment of Heel Pain includes anulomana of Apana Vata. As Vata Vyaadhi is associated with Ama formation,
The classical line of treatment for Heel pain can be understood by the following shloka:
“snehopanaha agnikarma bandhana unmardanani cha I
snayu sandhyasti samprapte kuryat vayaavatandritaha II” (7)
(Reference: Su. Chi. 4/8)
Meaning: Local oleation, therapeutic heat burn, treatment of ligament by understanding the pathogeneis are the classical line of treatment for Vatakantaka.
Some Home Remedies for Heel Pain:
- Shunthi (Dry Ginger): Take 5 gm shunthi churna (dry ginger powder) and 80 ml water. Boil till the volume reduces to 20 ml and filter. Take this decoction once or twice a day.
- Castor (Erand) Oil: Take 10-30 ml Erand Oil orally on an empty stomach in the morning. 1 tablespoon erand oil can also be taken with warm milk before going to bed.
- For external application, fill the tub with warm water. Add 2 tablespoons of salt in it. soak the feet in it for 20 minutes once or twice a day.
- Sesame Oil: Massage the feet with sesame oil as it penetrates easily into the skin and warm up the area.
- Turmeric: For external application, make a paste of turmeric and jaggery and apply it to the heel overnight to treat swelling.
- Cow ghee: Take a glass of milk with 1 tablespoon of cow ghee before going to bed. Cow ghee expels ama (toxins) from the body as well as nourishing in nature.
- Carom Seeds: Add ½ tsp carom seeds, 1 piece ginger bud, 1piece grounded garlic to sesame oil and heat this mixture for 2-3 minutes on the low flame. Massage your heels with this lukewarm oil regularly.
Some Exercises for Heel Pain are:
- Calf Stretching in Bed: Do this exercise before taking your first step out of the bed. This exercise will help to loosen and relax the tight calf muscles.
- Take a towel and loop it around the loop of your foot.
- Keep your leg straight and gently pull towards the body until you feel stretch in the lower part of the leg.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat this exercise up to 5 times.
- Plantar Fascia Stretching: This exercise helps in loosening up the tissues that are irritated and relieves pain.
- Pull your toes with the hand until you feel a stretch along the ball of the foot.
- You may feel stretch anywhere from the ball of the foot to the heel
- Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat it for few times.
- Massage: For massage, place a tennis ball on the floor and place your foot on the ball.
- Now gently roll the ball under the foot for a few minutes.
- Put enough pressure on the ball in order to get a deep massage.
- Take your feet back if you feel any pain.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Include some yoga asanas in the daily lifestyle such as Utkatasana (Chair Pose), Adhomukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose).
- Include cow ghee in the diet.
- Intake of cow milk is recommended.
- Avoid the consumption of junk and processed food in the diet.
- Avoid wearing high heels.
Thus, these Ayurvedic remedies help in easing heel pain in the comforts of your house!
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
2,040 total views, 1 views today