For all the skin care we dabble, we ignore our body. Body care is equally important. Here are the few ideas that will help you to take care of your body the right way.
In Ayurveda, dry brushing is known as Garshana. It helps in lymphatic cleansing and is a powerful way to support the removal of ama (cellular waste products) from the body.
- Dry brushing or garshana is traditionally done by using linen gloves or raw silk.
- It is an excellent practice during the kapha time of the year, the season of spring because this is the time of year when kapha can begin to accumulate in the lymph or sinuses and creates stagnation.
- Garshana is stimulating in nature.
- Skin brushing should be done in the morning before taking bath, with dry skin that is free from any oil or lotion.
- For dry brushing, keep the direction of stroke always toward the heart. Massage from the feet upward and then continue to the torso and on the neck.
During summer season, use body oils instead of using heavy creams. The body oils sink into the skin and make you feel lighter.
- If your skin is dry, an oil will definitely improve the texture and give relief from dry, dull and flaky skin.
- Massaging with body oils has various health benefits.
- In Ayurveda, massaging with body oils is known as Abhyanga. It is a form of Ayurvedic therapy that involves holistic massage with Ayurvedic oils.
- Regular abhyanga regimen improves the balance of doshas in the body and nourishes the body and mind.
- The benefits of abhyanga go beyond better skin or improved health.
- The body oil should be chosen on the basis of dominant dosha.
Learn to exfoliate well
It is advisable to exfoliate the skin well once a week with a body exfoliator that gently lifts the dry or dead skin and softens it.
- According to Ayurveda, the dominant dosha has a huge effect on all aspects of the physiology including the skin.
- Vata skin types are usually dry, rough and delicate.
- Pitta skin types tend to be sensitive, flushed and sweaty.
- Kapha skin types are oily, cool and soft.
- The one thing common in all skin types is that the skin constantly rebuilds itself by shedding old skin cells and replacing them with new ones.
- Thus, exfoliation is necessary for all skin types as it helps in getting rid of the dead skin cells.
- For exfoliation, natural face scrub like Orange Peel Scrub which is a mixture of orange peel and red lentils is very useful.
Take care of your elbows, neck and underarms
The elbows, neck and underarms are often-ignored areas.
- The skin of these areas is very delicate and is known to have fewer oil glands, so there are chances of redness and irritation in these areas especially in the summer season.
- For dark elbows, neck and underarms, use of lemon is very effective as lemon has natural belching properties which can help in even skin tone. You can apply the juice of lemon on these areas and massage gently. Leave for 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Sunscreen should not only be applied on the face but it is for the body as well.
- In summer season, dermatologists reiterate the use of sunscreen to prevent tanning of skin.
- Ayurveda concentrates on reducing burning sensation.
- Sunscreen enhances the health of skin by protecting all the essential proteins of skin like collagen, keratin and elastin. It also helps in keeping the skin smooth and healthy.
- When you look at sunscreen lotions, the first thing you will notice is SPF. SPF or Sun Protection Factor is a number that indicates how well sunscreen can protect the skin from the UVB rays.
In addition to the above, staying hydrated is also important as intense summer heat saps up the moisture. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to stay hydrated. It also helps in eliminating the toxins. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables is also recommended as they have high nutritive value.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
928 total views, 2 views today