Man have been using plants since ages unknown. Now a days, many of the beneficial plants have been experimented with to derive the useful compounds. The use of essential oils seems to be a new concept but it has been used in Ayurveda since thousands of years.
The essential oils are the volatile aromatic derivatives of the extracts of the beneficial plants. These are manufactured in the concentrated format from the plant’s roots, bark, leaves, stem, resin, flowers etc.
Aromatherapy is one of the ancient and effective natural remedy for balancing the doshas as each oil used in Ayurveda has special properties that help an individual to relax, concentrate, restore strength, balance the emotional state, fighting depression etc.
How Aromatherapy is used to treat Depression?
Instead of popping pills for depression, the natural treatment for depression should be followed which is safe, effects and does not cause any side effects.
Aromatherapy is one of the natural methods that is useful in the treatment of depression. This type of therapy utilizes various permutation and combinations to get relief from numerous ailments like depression, headache, insomnia, muscular pain, skin problems, joint problems etc. Aromatherapy uses essential oils, as the main therapeutic agents. These are highly concentrated substances. The chemicals in essential oils might trigger smell receptors in the nose that send messages to the part of brain that controls the mood of a person.
The essential oils have gained their importance in therapeutic, cosmetic, fragrant, aromatic and spiritual uses. They are highly useful in depression as they work on pressure points and rejuvenate the body.
Some of the essential oils that are useful in depression are:
- Chamomile: It belongs to the family Asteraceae. The constituents of chamomile oil are esters of angelic acid, tiglic acid and 2-methylbutaonoid acid.
- Its anti-anxiety, stress relieving properties ease out depression, worry and overactive mind.
- The use of chamomile oil before going to sleep relaxes both mind and body and brings on sleep with peace and spiritual awareness as well.
- Other disorders such as insomnia, headache and menstrual disorders are also known to be treated with this oil.
- In aromatherapy, chamomile oil is extensively used in the treatment of stress and anxiety related disorders.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang Ylang belongs to the family of Annonaceae.
- Its chemical constituents include linalool, geranyl acetate, geraniol, benzyl acetate etc.
- The best property of this tree is to slow down the heart rate and rapid breathing in trauma situations.
- Its oil is anti-depressive in nature with euphoric properties, thus giving the feeling of well-being.
- The use of ylang ylang essential oil helps in relieving anxiety and increasing the self-esteem along with alteration in blood pressure.
- It is indicated in depression, anxiety, hypertension, stress, palpitations and frigidity.
Various methods by which essential oils are administered are:
There are various methods by which they are administered in small quantity like inhalation, massage or simple applications on the surface of the skin.
- Inhalation and the external application of these oils for the treatment of mental and physical balance are the very basics of aromatherapy.
- The therapy given by these essential oils are known to relieve stress, rejuvenate and relax the individual.
- Olfactory nerves from the nose to the brain are the site of action for these essential oils.
- Besides providing relief in depression, these oils have well proven anti-bacterial, anti-biotic and anti-viral properties as well.
What are some methods of Aromatherapy?
- Diffusion: With the help of diffuser, the scent of essential oils can be spread throughout a room.
- Massage: Combining aromatherapy with massage is a great way to relax and ease stress. Don’t apply essential oil directly to the skin. Mix it with some massage oil.
- Baths: The scented bath oils are also available for relaxing experience.
Hence, we can conclude that aromatherapy is a natural and non-invasive gift of nature for humans. This therapy not only provides relief in depression but the whole body is rejuvenated by the use of aroma as it regulates the physiological, spiritual and psychological upliftment in life.
Many pharmaceutical companies are trying for the manufacture of environment friendly, alternative and natural medicines for the psychological as well as physical disorders.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7,297 total views, 3 views today