Shilajit (Asphalt) is a dark and sticky mineral substance that exudes from the rocks in Himalayas during summer season. The word Shilajit means “the destroyer of weakness”. Unlike most of the herbal products, the tar-like material is not actually harvested directly from a plant but it is created from the slow decomposition of the plant material over many centuries deep in the rocks of Himalayas.
Qualities of Shilajit:
According to Charak Samhita Chikitsa Sthana, 1st Chapter 3rd section, the qualities of Shilajit are:
- Kashaya – astringent in taste
- Anamla – not very sour
- Katu vipaka – undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion
- Na ati ushna – neither too hot, nor too cold
In Ayurveda, Shilajit has been used medicinally for over 3,000 years and is even considered a panacea by some. It is said to have a balancing effect on all doshas.
8 Health Benefits of Shilajit for women are:
- Prevents Iron Deficiency: Anaemia is a common condition in women in which blood does not have enough red blood cells (RBCs).
- Fulvic acid helps in the absorption of iron in the body, making it bioavailable to bone marrow cells and enhances the formation of red blood cells.
- Apart from its formation of red blood cells forming property, it enhances the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
- It helps in improving blood circulation and its diffusion into the tissues and maintains the necessary oxygen levels in the body.
- Shilajit is also used in the treatment of carbon di oxide poisoning.
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Shilajit is an important drug that helps in the digestion and absorption of food in the gastrointestinal tract.
- It is also useful in the treatment of nausea, vomiting and other digestive disorders.
- It also acts as a tonic due to the presence of nutrients.
- Shilajit stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin and maintains an equilibrium of catabolism and anabolism within the system.
- It also acts as an ulcer protective.
- Boosts Immunity: Shilajit is very helpful in improving immunity of the body as it activates the macrophages and splenocytes. Thus, it stimulates the immune system.
- It also has anti-allergic activity against histamine releasers and has been shown to induce degranulation of mast cells. Thus, it can also be used to treat allergic conditions.
- Ashtang Hridaya states that it is a best rejuvenator.
- Regulates Menstruation: Shilajit is highly beneficial in regulating menstruation as it helps in normalizing female reproductive hormones progesterone and estrogen and regulates the menstrual cycle.
- It is also useful in premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Increases Energy Levels: Now a days, women feel tired because they not only spend their day working but manage home as well.
- The additional stress and responsibilities may cause women to feel tired more easily.
- Taking shilajit as a supplement helps in boosting energy levels in females as shilajit boosts the function of mitochondria in the cells. This is where energy is generated.
- It contains ample amounts of fulvic acid and mineral constituents.
- Fulvic acid helps in transportation of nutrients into deep tissues and helps to overcome tiredness, chronic fatigue and lethargy.
- Promotes bone growth: Bone health problems are prevalent among menopausal women globally since they are deficient in estrogen. As Shilajit is rich in minerals such as magnesium, phosphate and calcium, it enhances the mineral density of bones.
- It also improves the functioning of hormones and enzymes that are responsible for bone formation and also enhances the formation of osteoblasts.
- Heart Health: Heart diseases are a prevailing problem among women.
- Humic acid present in shilajit reduces the blood cholesterol levels.
- Regular intake of shilajit increases the level of glutathione, an antioxidant.
- Glutathione improves the functioning of heart.
- Ageing: Shilajit is an important and known component of the Ayurvedic medicine given its characteristics as a Rasayana. Therefore, it increases longevity, rejuvenating and arrests the aging.
- Due to the presence of fulvic acid in Shilajit, it has anti-inflammatory property that reduces the cellular damage and enhance overall health in women
Shilajit is a potent and very safe dietary supplement, potentially able to prevent several diseases. Consumption of Shilajit with milk constitutes one of the strongest natural supplements with the potential to eliminate all kinds of weakness.
- Doctor’s advise should be taken for its usage during pregnancy.
- It should not be taken with horsegram, black night shade (Solanum nigrum).
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at email@example.com.
2,849 total views, 1 views today