Ayurveda, apart from providing various therapeutic measures for diseases has always emphasized on the maintenance, promotion of health as well as prevention of diseases through diet and lifestyle regimens.
Due to faulty diet and lifestyle normalcy of the Tridoshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) is disturbed and they get aggravated in the body. The vitiated doshas disturb the normalcy of the Dhatus and Malas causing their vitiation which manifests as various diseases in the body.
According to Ayurveda, diet plays a very important role in our physical and mental health status. Many health problems can be prevented as well as treated by consumption of good diet.
The 7 Best Diet Plans for Sustainability, Weight Loss and More
- Intermittent Fasting: Intermittent Fasting is not a new term but it exists in Ayurveda for thousands of years. Ayurveda has mentioned two timings for eating food – morning and evening.
- Ayurveda recommends eating a light meal in the evening.
- Today, intermittent fasting is practiced with the goal of weight reduction.
- In intermittent fasting, 8- hour window period is selected, it can either be 9 am – 5 pm where you can have your breakfast, lunch and an early dinner around 4 pm or timings can be chosen in between 1pm- 8 pm, where breakfast can be skipped and person can opt for lunch and dinner.
- There are many benefits for intermittent fasting such as weight loss, reduction in inflammation, insulin resistance, improvement in cognitive power etc.
- Plant-Based Diets: Ayurveda suggests that eating foods that are close to nature helps in maintaining physical and mental health in a proper way.
- Instead of eating processed and packaged foods, choose foods that are close to nature as the foods that are ripened by sunlight have more prana (vital energy) and nourishment.
- Benefits of taking plant- based diet are weight loss, reduced risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers etc. They are more environmentally sustainable than non-vegetarian foods.
- Low-Carb Diets: Low-carb diets are among the most popular diets for weight loss.
- These diets restrict carbohydrates intake and involves diet that is high in protein, fat and other healthy vegetables.
- The body starts using fatty acids rather than carbs for energy by converting them into ketones.
- These diets are useful for weight loss, reduces heart disease, high cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- The Paleo Diet: As the name suggests, the Paleo diet is inspired by the foods that our ancestors ate during Paleolithic era.
- This hunger-gatherer diet involves eating meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, vegetables, fruit in moderation foods such as legumes, dairy products, salt, processed foods are avoided.
- According to Ayurveda, a person having Pitta constitution can do much better by following Paleo diet, because the strong digestion of Pitta person can digest the non-vegetarian foods like meat better.
- This kind of diet can be helpful for some people for a short period of time for strengthening immunity.
- Raw Food Diet: Raw food diet involves eating raw foods in large quantities. Cooking and over-heating of foods destroy the natural enzymes.
- Raw food diet includes consumption of raw fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds, raw coconut oil.
- Anything that is cooked or processed is to be avoided in this diet.
- Most people who take raw food in their diet should take Vitamin B12 supplements in their diet.
- Low-fat Diets: Like low-carb diets, low-fat diets have been popular for decades.
- Low-fat diets include restricting the fat intake to 30% of the daily calories.
- These diets involve the restriction of fat intake because fat provides about twice the number of calories per gram as compared to the proteins and carbohydrates.
- Low fat diets are useful for weight loss, they are also linked to a reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, reduce inflammation and diabetes.
- Low fat diet can lead to health problems in the long run as fat plays a key role in hormone production, absorption of nutrients, metabolic syndrome etc.
- WW (Weight Watchers): Weight Watchers is one of the most popular weight loss programs worldwide.
- This diet doesn’t restrict any food groups but people on a WW plan eat withing their seat daily points to reach their desired or ideal weight.
- WW plan is ideal for weight loss and these programs have been shown to be more successful at maintaining weight loss after several years.
- WW allows flexibility, making the diet plan easy to follow.
This article is not a substitute to the standard Medical Diagnosis or personalized Ayurvedic Treatment! It is intended only for Information!
For experts consultation, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1,614 total views, 1 views today